Our skin care programs focus on two treatment philosophies, correction and preservation.
Correcting imbalanced skin conditions, such as dryness, dehydration, oiliness, clogged pores, irregular pigmentation, loss of elasticity, managing and improving skin conditions such as acne and highly reactive sensitive skin types.
Preservation is employed after our skin care programs help correct your skin imbalances and conditions. Our philosophy is to maintain the health and vitality of skin through continuous evaluation and treatment, professional product guidance and a proper home care routine with award winning products. All specifically tailored to your skin type.
What is a facial?
Seems like a simple question, but not a lot of people know what steps are included in receiving a facial. Typically facials are an hour or more and include the following steps:
- Analysis: your skin will be examined for different skin conditions such as level of oil production, blackheads and loss of elasticity. You should be told what conditions are found and what type of treatment you will be receiving. You may be asked about allergies and sensitivities you have had with products in the past.
- Exfoliation: the exact definition of exfoliation, according to the Milady’s Standard, is “the peeling or sloughing of the outer layer of the skin.” What that means is the removal of excessive dirt and dead skin that keeps debris in the pores. Also, during this process, the debris trapped in the pore is softened for easy removal (see Extractions). There are two types of exfoliation:
- Mechanical: more commonly known as a “scrub”, uses fine particles to removed debris off the skin.
- Cleansing: a thorough wash of the skin is the second step. In most cases it is a two-step process. Usually a pre cleanse is first, using a gentle cleanser that removes surface toxins. Followed by a more extensive cleanse that targets a specific issue you may need.
- Chemical: uses products with penetrating ingredients to help digest the dead cells off the surface, which is also known as a “peel” or exfoliating mask.
* The type of exfoliation used depends on your skin type and any conditions you may have.
- Extraction: the removal of blackheads and oil from the pores by pressing and squeezing the fingers on either side of the pore and manually. One of the only uncomfortable parts of the facial, but also one that gets the biggest results.
- Massage: graceful and relaxing movements to the face and décolleté. Penetrating products can be used to further the therapeutic effects of the treatment. Typically the shoulder and upper back will be included in the massage portion.
- Treatment Masks: product to be left on your skin for a period of time that is selected specifically to work on a skin condition that is present.
- Toner: a spray or lotion applied to remove any remnants of product and prepare the skin for the moisturizing step.
- Moisturizer: the last step of the facial where the skin is moisturized.
Why do people get facials?
Each person who gets a facial has his or her own reasons for doing so, including:
- to deeply clean the skin and pores
- to improve skin that is either too dry or too oily
- to rejuvenate skin that has begun to look old or wrinkled
- to relax and de-stress
Will the facial hurt, or be uncomfortable?
You should never feel irritation, burning or discomfort during your facial. All Dermalogica products are created to be non-irritating, and your esthetician is trained to use the best products for your skin type. If for some reason you should feel discomfort, please tell your esthetician immediately.
How often should I get a facial?
Generally, facials are recommended once a month to ensure skin issues are properly treated and are dependent on individual goals. However, you can discuss your specific needs, desired outcomes and schedule with your esthetician.
The Facials We Offer
- Express Facial: Customized for all skin types and helps maintain a healthy complexion leaving you feeling relaxed and refreshed. Includes deep cleansing, analysis, exfoliation, mask and treatment serums.
- Signature Facial: Customized for all skin types. A deep cleansing, thorough skin analysis and exfoliation to breakdown the buildup of dead skin cells. Plus a complete facial and décolleté massage, extractions, soothing mask, eye and lip treatment and a customized blend of finishing serums.
- Customized Facial: Customized for all skin types excessive dryness and dull complexions. Dramatically increase overall hydration by utilizing antioxidants, humectant and peptides leaving the skin smooth and healthy. Effectively boost cell metabolism while leaving the skin bright and rejuvenated. Using an extensive blend of antioxidants this treatment will also smooth, firm and give a more even complexion
Products we offer
We carry a line of medical grade facial products called Glo Therapeutics. Glo therapeutics offers a regular approach to treat multiple skin concerns by combining a daily skin care routine with advanced treatments. Utilizing innovative technology and cutting-edge science, Glo-Therapeutics formulations are created with potent concentrations of active ingredients to clinically transform the skin. Glo products range of cleansers, toners, moisturizers, serums and specialty treatment formulations are based on established research and cutting-edge science. Inquire about your needs.