Wegovy™An FDA-approved, once a week, non-stimulant weight loss medication
Wegovy™ is an FDA-approved, once a week, prescription injectable medicine that may help some adults with excess weight (body mass index [BMI] ≥27) who also have weight-related medical problems or obesity (BMI ≥30), lose weight and keep it off. Wegovy™ should be used with a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity.
How Wegovy™ Works
Wegovy™ addresses one of your body’s natural responses to weight loss.
- Your body naturally produces an appetite hormone known as glucagon-like-peptide (GLP-1) that helps to regulate your hunger
- Wegovy™ works like GLP-1 by regulating your appetite, which can lead to eating fewer calories and losing weight
- Wegovy™ is not a stimulant
- Wegovy™ is taken once a week on the same day, any time of day, with or without food.
Wegovy™ comes in a pen that features:
- One-time use only: Use a new pen every time
- Preset dose: The dose is already set on your pen
- Hidden needle: The needle is covered and won’t be seen
What is Wegovy™?
Wegovy™ (semaglutide) injection 2.4 mg is a once weekly injectable prescription medicine that may help some adults with excess weight (BMI ≥27) who also have weight-related medical problems or obesity (BMI ≥30) lose weight and keep the weight off. Wegovy™ should be used with a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity
- Wegovy™ is not for the treatment of type 2 diabetes
- Wegovy™ and Ozempic® have the same active ingredient, semaglutide, and should not be used together
- Wegovy™ should not be used with other GLP-1 receptor agonist medicines
- Wegovy™ and insulin should not be used together
- It is not known if Wegovy™ is safe and effective when taken with other prescription, over-the-counter, or herbal weight-loss products
- It is not known if Wegovy™ changes your risk of heart problems or stroke or of death due to heart problems or stroke
- It is not known if Wegovy™ can be used safely in people who have had pancreatitis
- It is not known if Wegovy™ is safe and effective in children under 18 years of age. Wegovy™ is not recommended for use in children
Wegovy™ should be used together with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for chronic weight management in adults.
LIMITATIONS OF USE
- you or any of your family have a history of Medulary Thyroid Carcinoma (MTC)
- you have MEN 2. This is a disease where people have tumors in more than one gland in their body
- you are allergic to liraglutide or any of the ingredients in Wegovy™. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat, fainting or feeling dizzy, very rapid heartbeat, problems breathing or swallowing, and severe rash or itching
Lookup your coverage or co-pay for Wegovy™Wegovy™ Coverage Verification
Provide the information to look up the cost of Wegovy™ based on your prescription plan. You may need your prescription card to complete your request. You can also call 1-888-809-3942 if you have any questions about Wegovy™ coverage.
Important Safety Information
What is the most important information I should know about Wegovy™?
Wegovy™ may cause serious side effects, including:
- Possible thyroid tumors, including cancer. Tell your healthcare provider if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. These may be symptoms of thyroid cancer. In studies with rodents, Wegovy™ and medicines that work like Wegovy™ caused thyroid tumors, including thyroid cancer. It is not known if Wegovy™ will cause thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) in people.
- Do not use Wegovy™ if you or any of your family have ever had a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) or if you have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2).
- you or any of your family have ever had a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) or if you have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2).
- you have had a serious allergic reaction to semaglutide or any of the ingredients in Wegovy™.
Before using Wegovy™, tell your healthcare provider if you have any other medical conditions, including if you:
- have or have had problems with your pancreas or kidneys.
- have type 2 diabetes and a history of diabetic retinopathy.
- have or have had depression, suicidal thoughts, or mental health issues.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Wegovy™ may harm your unborn baby. You should stop using Wegovy™ 2 months before you plan to become pregnant.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Wegovy™ passes into your breast milk.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Wegovy™ may affect the way some medicines work and some medicines may affect the way Wegovy™ works. Tell your healthcare provider if you are taking other medicines to treat diabetes, including sulfonylureas or insulin. Wegovy™ slows stomach emptying and can affect medicines that need to pass through the stomach quickly.
What are the possible side effects of Wegovy™?
Wegovy™ may cause serious side effects, including:
- inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis). Stop using Wegovy™ and call your healthcare provider right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area (abdomen) that will not go away, with or without vomiting. You may feel the pain from your abdomen to your back.
- gallbladder problems. Wegovy™ may cause gallbladder problems, including gallstones. Some gallstones may need surgery. Call your healthcare provider if you have symptoms, such as pain in your upper stomach (abdomen), fever, yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice), or clay-colored stools.
- increased risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in patients with type 2 diabetes, especially those who also take medicines for type 2 diabetes such as sulfonylureas or insulin. This can be both a serious and common side effect. Talk to your healthcare provider about how to recognize and treat low blood sugar and check your blood sugar before you start and while you take Wegovy™. Signs and symptoms of low blood sugar may include dizziness or light-headedness, blurred vision, anxiety, irritability or mood changes, sweating, slurred speech, hunger, confusion or drowsiness, shakiness, weakness, headache, fast heartbeat, or feeling jittery.
- kidney problems (kidney failure). In people who have kidney problems, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting may cause a loss of fluids (dehydration) which may cause kidney problems to get worse. It is important for you to drink fluids to help reduce your chance of dehydration.
- serious allergic reactions. Stop using Wegovy™ and get medical help right away, if you have any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat; problems breathing or swallowing; severe rash or itching; fainting or feeling dizzy; or very rapid heartbeat.
- change in vision in patients with type 2 diabetes. Tell your healthcare provider if you have changes in vision during treatment with Wegovy™.
- increased heart rate. Wegovy™ can increase your heart rate while you are at rest. Tell your healthcare provider if you feel your heart racing or pounding in your chest and it lasts for several minutes.
- depression or thoughts of suicide. You should pay attention to any mental changes, especially sudden changes in your mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any mental changes that are new, worse or worry you.
The most common side effects of Wegovy™ may include: nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, stomach (abdomen) pain, headache, tiredness (fatigue), upset stomach, dizziness, feeling bloated, belching, gas, stomach flu and heartburn.
Wegovy™ is a prescription medication.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
– All Information on this page ©2021 NOVO NORDISK® All rights reserved. US21SEMO00675 08/2021. Novo Nordisk Inc., 800 Scudders Mill Road, Plainsboro, New Jersey 08536 U.S.A. — Wegovy™ WeToTogether™ are trademarks of Novo Nordisk A/S. Novo Nordisk is a registered trademark of Novo Nordisk A/S. All other trademarks, registered or unregistered, are property of their respective owners. Wegovy™.